Frequently Asked Questions


Do you insist on doing all the catering in-house or are there other options?
The catering at Rudby Hall is provided by our exclusive partner, Coghlans.  However, we can vet your preferred caterer with a facilitating charge.

Do you cater for different styles of menu such as sit down silver service, buffet, family service, hog roast or BBQ?
Yes, providing food is not served outdoors.  Tailor-made fine dining, depending on your preferences, will be created by Coghlans.

Where are reception drinks served?
Following a ceremony in church, you have the option of having reception drinks in The Library, combined with the Entrance Hall and Bar area, which is situated at the foot of the main staircase.
Following a civil ceremony in the Library, reception drinks will be served in the Entrance Hall, Bar area and Lounge.  The ceremony chairs will be removed from the Library during the drinks reception, creating additional space to entertain your guests. The Library is also where your evening entertainment will be situated.  Guests are also welcome to enjoy reception drinks on the terrace and within the grounds.

Will there be an event manager on hand during the day?
An experienced event coordinator will be on site for the duration of the event.

What shape and size tables do you have for the wedding breakfast, and how many?
We can provide up to 12 round tables that can seat up to 10 guests per table, plus rectangular tables for the top table which sits up to eight guests. We can also look into more bespoke options if required.

Can we see photographs of the Drawing Room set up and dressed for a wedding breakfast?
Yes, photographs are available upon request.  Alternatively, visit our Gallery or social media pages.

Is it possible to see the tables, chairs, linen, crockery, cutlery and glassware that would be used?
Yes, our House Butler will show you at your tasting or by separate arrangement.

Can we hire in alternative linen, crockery, glassware, cutlery and/or chairs?
Yes, Rudby Hall is happy to recommend a supplier if required.

Do you provide a cake table, stand and knife?

Do you provide an easel on which we can display our table plan?

Do you supply table number/name stands for the dining tables?
Ideally they should be provided by yourself.

Is there a bar for drinks to be served from or will drinks be served from trays (or both)?
Both, dependent upon the nature of the event and your personal preference.

Is the bar fully stocked or can drinks be brought in by clients?
The bar is fully stocked, staffed and managed by Coghlans.  If you have any particular requirements we will do our best to ensure they are fulfilled.  We do not permit clients or their guests to consume drinks which they have brought into the house themselves whilst the bar is open.

Do you insist on supplying drinks packages or can we pay corkage and supply our own drinks for the drinks reception, wine for the tables and bubbles for the speeches?
We offer a range of drinks to suit most tastes, besides which we also offer you the option of supplying your own wine, subject to a corkage fee of £20 per bottle which covers the cost associated with the provision of glassware, storing, chilling and serving the drinks.

Besides breakfast for overnight guests, can you cater for dinner the night before and/or a brunch the day following the wedding?
Yes.  Coghlans would be delighted to discuss these options with you.  There would be an additional cost.


Which authority covers Rudby Hall?
Hambleton District Council.

Can we have our wedding on any day of the week?

Do you allow confetti to be thrown? 
Yes, providing it is biodegradable.

What are the options for ceremony music?
Each client can source their own music hire, for example pianist, violinist or harpist.  Alternatively, we have a small stereo system which plays CDs and a docking station suitable for iPods and iPhones (4, 5 and 6).  This will be coordinated on the day by a member of our team.

Where would the Registrar meet the bride and groom prior to the wedding?
The groom is met in the Library, the ceremony room, and the bride in the Bridal Suite.

Do the chairs used for the ceremony and wedding breakfast need to be covered?
Chairs do not need to be covered as we supply gold Chiavari chairs with ivory seat pads.

Where will guests congregate as they arrive?
The front porch or the Entrance Hall.

Can we see photographs of the ceremony room set up and dressed for a wedding?
Yes, photographs are available on request.  Alternatively, visit our Gallery or social media pages.

Is there space for musicians within the ceremony room?

How will the bride enter and not be seen by the guests and the groom before entering the ceremony room?
All guests will be seated at least 20 minutes prior to the ceremony start time.  This ensures that the door to the Library is closed before the bridal party arrive or come down the stairs.  This also allows sufficient time for the bride to meet the Registrar prior to the ceremony.

We would like our pet to be part of the day; is it possible?
Unfortunately, we cannot allow pets on site, however well-behaved they may be. Service dogs are excluded from this house rule.


Are professional fireworks displays allowed?

Do you need to hire additional lighting?
Not required, but welcomed.

Do you allow outdoor entertainment, such as lawn games or bouncy castles?
Unfortunately not, the outdoor grounds are used mainly for photographs and mingling.

When is the DJ or band allowed access to set up their equipment?
The DJ or band are required to set up their equipment in the Library during the wedding breakfast.

Is there an area that could be used for a crèche if necessary?
There is a space that can be made available but it needs to be discussed with the House Butler and is by prior agreement with Rudby Hall.  It is also important to consider who is responsible for the crèche as children must never be left unattended.

Is there a quiet area where older guests can get away from the noise of the band/DJ?
Yes, the Lounge is ideal.

Do you provide a PA system that can be used for speeches?
No.  But we can recommend a supplier from whom you will be able to hire one if indeed this is a requirement.

What equipment can you provide if we wanted to play music during the ceremony, drinks reception, wedding breakfast and evening reception?
We have a small stereo system which plays CDs and a docking station suitable for iPods and iPhones (4, 5 and 6) in the Entrance Hall.

Is there a decibel (sound) limit?
Yes, set at the standard limit.

Are there any restrictions with regards to bringing props into the venue, including chocolate fountains, ice sculptures, bubble machines and fire pits?
All props, especially those which pose a potential health and safety risk, must be pre-approved by Rudby Hall.

What time are the alcohol and music licenses until?
11pm Sunday to Thursday, and midnight Friday, Saturday and on Bank Holidays.  We can request an extension until 1am at an additional cost of £500.

Rooms and Capacities

Are you licensed for civil ceremonies and for how many guests?
Yes.  Maximum 105.

How many people can the venue accommodate?
Rudby Hall can accommodate up to 105 daytime for a civil ceremony, 150 daytime for a church ceremony and 150 evening guests.

How many guests can stay overnight?
34 guests in 13 bedrooms; four of which are family rooms and can sleep up to four guests.

Is there a minimum guest number or catering spend?
Minimum of 30 guests, otherwise a sur-charge is payable to the caterer.

Are there separate rooms for the wedding ceremony, drinks reception, wedding breakfast and evening reception?
Yes, and it is the couple’s choice as to how they would like to use them.

Is it possible to have a marquee?
We permit up to eight marquees per year for an additional cost of £1,000.  Marquees need to be hired independently.

Cost Considerations

What are the costs for use of the venue, catering, drinks and any other costs which are not included in the venue hire?
All prices quoted refer specifically to the exclusive use of Rudby Hall, including the 13 bedrooms, furniture and fittings as seen.  All other costs are in addition to the hire fee, for example catering, drinks options, flowers, entertainment, etc.  Quotes are available on request.

What are the payment terms?  When is the deposit required, how much is it and is it non-refundable?
£1,500 non-refundable booking fee and a refundable £1,000 damage deposit will be added to your payment schedule. A payment schedule is issued for six months before and one month before the wedding.

Is VAT included?

How do you accept payment?
We accept payment via cheque, bank transfer or Direct Debit.

Suppliers – Set Up and Break Down

Do you allow candles?
Yes, if they are in storm lanterns or tea light holders, and providing the vessel in which they are placed is taller than the flame.  Naked flames in floral arrangements are not permitted.  Please note that clients must supply sufficient candles/tea lights as Rudby Hall do not provide replacements.

What time do you require all items to be removed?
All items must be removed from Rudby Hall on the day after your wedding.

Are there any restrictions on suppliers who can be used?
At the time of booking we will provide a recommended suppliers list, which have been thoroughly vetted to the highest standards.


Do you have public liability insurance?

How many weddings do you hold per day/over a weekend?
The entire house is hired on an exclusive use basis and therefore we will only ever host one wedding during the time-period.

Do you offer exclusive use?
Yes, this is the only basis upon which we offer weddings and events at Rudby Hall.

Do you have any testimonials?
Yes, please refer to our Guestbook.

Do you have a secure space where we can store wedding presents?


From the moment we stepped into Rudby Hall we knew this was the place we wanted our family and friends to gather for our wedding weekend. It was all ours from the day before our wedding until the day after. Perfect doesn’t do it justice; thank you so much to Sandra and Martin for sharing your little bit of heaven with us.

Mr & Mrs Thompson